Monday, September 5, 2011

Second Hand Sally

My name is Alli Williams and I am an addict.  I refer to it as a hobby, but really its gone past that point.  I find it hard to drive past a resale shop or a garage sale without stopping. I hoard books and craft supplies and strange knick knacks and wall hangings.  I find it difficult to pay full price, even when shopping at the dollar store.  When I look at items in my home that I paid full price for in my past life before thrifting, I feel disgusted at myself.  I pride myself on how LITTLE I paid for something.  I refer to myself as a professional thrifter, an expert bargain hunter and a second hand slut.

And here is how I am so good at it:

 1.  Find 'em.  Locate thrift stores in your area.  It is pretty easy to search "thrift stores in ..." or try "resale."  Go to them all to see which ones you like the best and which ones have the kind of things you are looking for.  Many focus on clothes, others have large home sections, some have furniture, etc. 

2. Get to know the pricing system.  If you buy books, learn which stores have the best book deals.  Some places price items individually.  You are likely to find the best steals at stores that have general prices, like T-shirts for $1, Long-sleeves $1.50, etc.

3. Learn their regular sales.  Some shops have monthly sales, others weekly.  Some have sales on all items tagged with a certain color- these are the sales where you find deals on a great variety of items.  Others have sales on certain items such as children's clothes, housewares, accessories, or books.  Some shops create monthly calendars that list all of their special sales.

4.  Be on the lookout for special sales.  Often, shops will give out flyers for their upcoming blowout sales.  Others will put adds in the newspapers or put up large signs in their windows.

5. Know what you want.  Make a list of items that you want before you go.  Keep a running list of items that you would buy if ever you found them at a decent price.  I keep this list on my cell phone with the "notes" function.

6. Get past your apprehensions.  Having trouble buying things that others have used?  Start off small.  Dishes can be washed.  Buy a coffee cup or a utensil that you are missing.  Used books are no big deal!  You buy "pre-viewed" movies from movie store, why not the thrift store?  You don't have to buy clothes from the thrift shop, but don't close yourself off to the idea.  Some of my favorite clothes have been second hand finds.  Make sure to wash everything first.
7.  Don't be afraid to ask!  Looking for something specific?  Ask them if they have it.  If they don't- see if they will call you if they DO get it in.  Example:  I found a thrift shop that sold bikes, but none of the ones they had were my size.  I told them I've been looking for one and they wrote my name down and the approximate size I'd need.  About 2 weeks later I got the call and ran down to pick up my $30 mountain bike that was in perfect condition (and its pink!). I've heard of people doing this with music instruments, exercise equipment or furniture.

8.  Get by with a little help from your friends.  Don't go alone!  Its more fun to go with others.  Keep your friends in mind, even if they can't come along.  Do you hear your friend say "I wish I had a copy of The Grapes of Wrath"  or "I should buy a wine rack"?  Be on the look out for things your friends might like.  It makes for a cheap gift and an easy way to say "I was thinking of you."

9. Know when to fold 'em.  I tend to go overboard on my thrifting.  I've bought more books than I could ever read and more craft supplies than I could ever use.  There comes a point when you need to stop buying just because it is available, and start holding out for really special items.


10.  Use your resources.  Look on your local craigslist to find garage sales in your area! Or you can use this to find specific items you are looking for.  Try freecycling.  Shop in your grandmother's basement.

I am a thrifter!  Say it loud, say it proud.  Thrifting has helped me create a unique style and my home is certainly one-of-a-kind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment