Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Benefits of Bicycling

A few months ago, I purchased a bike for $30 at a thrift store.  When I rode away from the store, I was wobbly and nervous, this having been the first time in about 10 years since I had ridden a bike.  I was sure that I would fall in to traffic and die, or even worse- live and be incredibly embarrassed.

But I made it home and have been riding that bike to work on a pretty regular basis. I only live 12 blocks from work, so it is the perfect commute.

Here are a few reasons I LOVE riding to work.

1.  MONEY!  I save $.70+ a day on parking.  Not to mention gas money and the wear and tear of city driving.


2. Exercise!  My ride is about 5-10 minutes, depending on how late I am.  You can burn about 50 calories for every 10 minutes of riding.  So- in riding to work, home for lunch, back from lunch and home again- I can burn up to 200 calories! 

3.  Toning!  Since riding my bike to work, I've noticed that my butt is perkier!

4.  Cardio!  I haven't been exercising much lately, but my commute give me just enough cardio to help keep my metabolism going and my heart pumping.


5. Its good for the environment!  It's hard to call myself much of an environmentalist if I drive my car 12 blocks out of laziness. 

6. Greeting the morning!  Morning is the most beautiful time of the day.  There is nothing better than a brisk morning ride on a sunny day.  Today's ride was perfect. I love waving to people and saying good morning.  Beautiful.

7. Endorphines!  Bicycling work is the best way to get a natural high that helps keep away "The Mondays" and help to stay positive throughout the day.

8. Bragging Rights! I love to tell people that I ride my bike to work.  And it feels good to hear people say "Good for you!" or "I wish I could do that."  Hopefully I will inspire people to start commuting my bicycle as well.

I cannot lie- sometimes there are some downsides to biking to work.

Downsides:

1. Sweat.  Its a bit gross to ride your bike in 95 degree weather and arrive at work all sweaty.

2. Rain.  Sometimes it rains unexpectedly.

3.  Drivers.  Drivers have bicyclists. Bicyclists hate drivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment