Thursday, September 8, 2011

Decatur: The Friendliest Town in Illinois

I swear to goodness, I cannot go ANYWHERE in this town without getting in to a conversation with someone.  I can't tell if I just look very approachable, but whether I'm in line at the grocery store, pumping gas or sifting through piles of junk at the thrift store- someone always makes a comment in my direction.

Today, when I came out of DMH Thrift Shop, I got on my bike.  A nice older black woman said something about me wearing high heels while riding.  We ended up talking for a few moments and were promptly joined by another woman who had come out of the store.  It was a pleasant conversation, as most of these random encounters are.

I think that Decatur is just small enough that man people feel neighborly enough to chat, but large enough that you don't know everyone and everyone's business.  I haven't been that many places in my life, but of the places I have been, Decatur is by far the friendliest.

Only in Decatur!

No comments:

Post a Comment