Sunday, July 17, 2011

What I Read = How I Feel

Goodness knows I can't get enough politics.  I watch Rachel Maddow religiously.  I read news stories online and whenever I get a hold of one, I'll read a newspaper -- a real live newspaper!  I picked up Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman at the library and a friend gave me What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America by Thomas Frank.  I didn't finish either of them before deciding I MUST put them down.

I agree with many things that they are saying, yes.  However, I get the most reading done in bed.  This means I wake up cranky from having fallen asleep to Thomas Frank's blatant sarcasm and disdain. Or I would wake up worried, yet optimistic from dreaming of our Hot, Crowded world and all of the work it would take to change the trajectory our nation and our planet is on. 
Of course, I can't always read Winnie-the-Pooh before bed.  ALTHOUGH the next book on my reading list IS The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff.  Just having read the first 4 pages of the introduction, I can already tell this book will leave me feeling relaxed and happy in the morning.

Side Note:  While searching for a picture for The Tao of Pooh, I ran in to this delightful blog: The Broke and the Bookish.  I shall visit again.  I also like the concept and maybe, considering how much I love to read, I will add a bit of this to my blog.  I also hope to turn this blog in to a crafter's blog too, but I haven't been reading or crafting fast enough to do either!

Although I should not be spending my free time reading, blogging, crafting and puzzling, but instead I should be studying diligently for the GRE.  However, I just started reading A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.  I needed a new series to get in to now that Harry Potter is completely over and done.  These books are pretty dang long, so they better deliver.  I should guess that, at the rate I usually read books, it will take me 3-8 months to read A Game of Thrones, depending on its level of awesomeness, the number of books I read on the side, and the amount of studying I actually end up doing.  Also, I think "level of awesomeness" will be my rating system from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment