Sunday, July 10, 2011

Budgets and Scorecards

#1  I am taking the GRE (new revised test) on August 20.  The studying will commence right after this post.  I would like a decent score to prove to myself that I am an intelligent, worthwhile person.

Today, Doris was studying for the LSAT and unknowingly distracted me from the real studying I should have done (reading comprehension) by introducing me to logic games.  I LEARNED that I LOVE LOGIC GAMES.  I WANNA DO LOGIC GAMES ALL DAY EVERY DAY.  However, I'm not taking the LSAT and August 20 is quickly approaching. 

It is my goal to study a little bit every day and at least a few hours on the weekends.  I'm going to be honest with myself, though -- YEA RIGHT!  I'll probably study a few times a week and for an hour on Sundays.  I've never been good at studying.  Most college studying consisted of re-reading some of my notes the night before the exam and then going for ice cream instead. 

#2  I'm broke.  Since making new friends, getting back in touch with old friends and keeping in touch with as many college friends as possible, I've spent a TON of money in the past 2 months.  AND I've spent quite a bit on my car and gas to go see everyone I know and love.  When I first arrived in beautiful Decatur, I put myself on a strict budget and managed to save $100 at the end of each month.  Since May, when I stopped using my fancy excel spreadsheet, saving my receipts and clipping coupons, I've managed to deplete my savings by $600.  I have an equal amount waiting for me, but in order to avoid dipping in to that stash any further, I can only spend $130 between this moment and August 5. 

Almost one whole month on $130 (groceries excluded as I have other sources for that budget).  This $130 includes one month of gas, one month of parking and laundry quarters, one month of NOT eating out, one months of NO bar tabs, one month of thrifting (heaven knows I can't stay away) and one month of general living which could possibly include medicines, car repairs and other accidentals.

Can I do it?  Again, I'm going to be honest -- I don't believe so.  I was raised as a good American cog in the economic system.  I'm a natural born consumer.  I spent $35 on clothes this weekend alone (granted they were all thrift or clearance).  I bought six puzzles and another book.  I already own more puzzles than I have time to do and more books than I can read in five years' time.  I haven't learned anything on this home front today.  I wish I could say that I've found the secret to living a simple life, free from the concerns of consumerism and want.  It still makes me happy to buy coffees and ice cream and shoes and books and craft supplies and make-up and purses and ugly decorations and coffee cups and other assorted items that fit on this never ending list.

The only thing I can say in my favor is that I am a master thrifter and extreme bargain hunter.  I hate paying full price for something.  My Grandpa James (mama's papa) used to always make us guess how LITTLE he spent on his shoes.  I am always so proud to tell people "I paid a dollar for this" or "I bought this on sale for 75% off and it perfectly matches these shoes I bought for $4!"  This extreme bargain hunting often leads to stock piling, or what others may call "hoarding."  Thank goodness I have a huge attic!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment