Monday, July 18, 2011

1400 or Bust

GRE GRE GRE GRE GRE. 

My mind needs to keep on this track for the next month and two days.  Thank goodness for Cassie Steele, who gave me a great tip this weekend.  She suggested I try Nummber2.com.  This is a free site that gives really easy and detailed explanations of the types of questions you are likely to run in to on the exam.  I have already started to work on some of the math and sentence completion questions.  I had no idea I was so bad at arithmetic!  I only scored in the 55 percentile.  The great thing is, it gives you more practice questions and it will track your improvements.  I did a little better with the sentence completion (76 percentile), but I'd like to get both scores above the 85 percentile.

As far as the analytical reasoning portion of the test, I may be "up a creek without a paddle" to use a cliche that is not allowed on the exam, or "screwed" which is slang, therefore also not advisable.  There are two essays: an issue analysis and an argument analysis.  You have 30 minutes for each section.  I can't even finish this blog post in 30 minutes, let alone write a concise, well thought out, well organized essay with evidence and support to back up my opinions.  I could possibly carry out this task in say, two hours.

In undergrad, I never put myself under pressure to write a paper.  I was always very good about time management because I know that I do not write well under pressure.  I am usually a meticulous writer, painstakingly choosing words that accurately depict the message I'm trying to convey.  I LOVE Microsoft Word.  I love spell check.  I love shift+F7 which allows me to browse the list of synonyms to help me vary my sentences. 

I will be taking this test on the computer, which is a definite advantage.  I have terrible handwriting, especially when I'm trying to write quickly.  I was able to almost completely give up handwriting when I purchased a netbook that was easily transportable.  My three-pound computer fit handily into my book bag and left space for my coffee cup on my desk.  Even now, when I take minutes at meetings, I prefer to bring my netbook along instead of wasting trees and whatever ink is made out of. 

The word processor for the GRE does have some basic essential functions such as cut/paste and undo.  The problem will be, not spelling and grammar- because you are allowed some minor mistakes- but sentence variation.  I tend to repeat myself.  HOWEVER is my favorite word.  THEREFORE, I need to use shift+F7 to learn some new transitions.

I am a bit curious to see what kind of score I'm able to earn.  Issue analysis is pretty much a hobby of mine, only I do this through conversation rather than by writing.  I LEARN by talking.  I am generally an audio learner, but this also applies to hearing my own thoughts.  I find it difficult to remember my own thoughts when I'm simply thinking them.  This is usually very annoying for everyone around me during test taking.  I mutter the questions out loud to myself and work out problems under my breath.  I always wished there were more oral exams in college.  Life is more of an oral exam.

For a bit of practice, I may start writing my 30 minute essays here and having my friends critique them.  Especially Pat.  Pat would not feel bad about ripping apart my silly 30 minutes essays.

No comments:

Post a Comment