Sunday, October 16, 2011

Restore Me

Tonight, I have returned from my final day at Restorative Circle Facilitation Learning Event with Dominic Barter. 

Unfortunately, I still have not found a succinct way to explain Restorative Justice in my own words.  I think the reason for this is that the definition keeps changing the more I learn about it.  Is it a philosophy?  Is it a movement?  Is it a set of principles?  Is it just a set of guidelines?

I suppose I can start with the thing I know about Restorative Justice for sure.  Restorative Justice is a form of conflict resolution which does not seek to punish the "actor" or the "wrongdoer,"  but instead to repair the harm caused by the action and restore the relationship that has been damaged as a result of the action.

In Macon County, I work with the Teen Court- a diversion program for youth, which uses a peer jury model that employs restorative principals to hold youth offenders accountable for their actions and repair the harm done to the community.   The panel of high school-age youth hear cases of juveniles (usually 17 and under) who have committed a crime which is punishable by law.  Our court hears many cases which involve underage possession of alcohol and possession of cannabis and/or drug paraphernalia, as well as retail theft, battery, aggravated battery, domestic battery, mob action, etc.  The jurors listen to the youth's story in an attempt to understand the cause of the actions and to prevent further actions in the future.  The jury decides on a set of "sanctions," such as community service, an apology letter to someone harmed by the action, an essay, etc. 

I am also part of Community Restorative Boards for the Adult Redeploy Program in Macon County.  Adult Redeploy is an intense probation program for non-violent offenders who would otherwise be sent to the Department of Corrections.  This programs seeks to address destructive behaviors through the use of an evidence-based program (Moral Reconation Therapy) and case management.  Community Restorative Boards (CRBs) are another part of Redeploy which a select group of clients are chosen to participate in.  CRBs are small (usually 3-4 people) groups of community members who have been trained in Restorative Justice who support the offender in repairing the harm done to the community and to relationships in their own lives.  Similar to Teen Court, there is an action plan for the offender to complete in order to successfully complete the CRB program.

Soooo... That is how I know about Restorative Justice.  Through these programs, I am connected to Illinois Balanced and Restorative Justice (IBARJ), the state-wide project to enhance the capacity of local organizations to create, sustain and improve restorative justice programs.  Through the IBARJ listserv, I was invited to participate a free "learning experience" with Dominic Barter.

I didn't know what the heck it was, but for some reason in sparked my interest.  I didn't know what to expect, but MAN was it an "experience!"  I walked in late after missing the first day of the event due to work conflicts.  The atmosphere was SO laid back.  In fact, at times, it was so laid back that I was uncomfortable with the comfort level of others.  This community is one which is very open and many people were familiar with each other from other events together.  Every once in a while someone would spontaneously break in to a yoga pose in the back of the room.  Massages were taking place all across the room.  People were crying.  I was squirming.

But I relaxed....eventually.

After accepting this level of comfort (but not necessarily sharing it), I started to admire the level of emotional openness this group of people have.  All day, people were sharing intimate thoughts and details of their personal lives in front of small and large groups of people.  Many had a wonderful emotional intelligence that I truly admire.  Dominic, and many others who spoke and shared their thoughts, ideas and experiences, put emotions in to words in a way that I could barely comprehend.  I have rarely allowed myself to really explore my emotions in this way before. 

The most significant idea I brought back with me is the importance of mutual understanding.  In the circles we practiced this weekend, the main purpose was to truly hear the other person.  Dominic said something along the lines of "Expression is not communication."  You may express yourself, but to communicate, someone must not only listen, but understand what you are expressing.

More to come.  I am still processing what I have learned. 

No pictures.  I wanted to have something to share, but I didn't feel right taking pictures of such an intimate gathering.

No comments:

Post a Comment