Monday, October 3, 2011

Experience

I've been an AmeriCorps VISTA member for more than eight months now.  I am working as the Coordinator for the Macon County Juvenile Justice Council (and other duties as assigned, of course).  I work closely with the Macon County States Attorney.

Recently, we have been talking about sustainability for the Juvenile Justice Council and have been tossing around the idea of funding my position as an actual JOB, rather than an AmeriCorps position.  The States Attorney must like me because he is very interested in making this happen before my year of service is up so that I can stay on as an actual employee.  Not only does he want to build this position for me, but he also wants the position to be something that I am interested in doing.

What a great compliment!!

My AmeriCorps experience has been a wonderful opportunity for me to make connections, get experience and learn how to get things done (for my community and for myself, it seems).  I believe that I made the right choice jumping in to this position right out of school.  My father wanted me to hold out for something that had better pay (which I would like, too!), but I realized that with my lack of professional experience in such a sluggish economy, that I would not quickly find a meaningful position.

Not only have I been able to develop in my official volunteer position, but in my after-work volunteer positions, as well.  Volunteering at the after-school program has given me experience with children to help me understand the difficulties that teachers face without having to be in a formal classroom.

Recently I have volunteered with Habitat for Humanity.  The Decatur branch of Habitat for Humanity has not had an executive director for ten years.  The new director has been on board since August and and is trying to re-vamp the way Habitat is run here in Decatur.  I will be assisting her by writing their Fundraising Plan.  This works perfectly for all parties- I will get some really interesting experience and the director will be getting free work.


No comments:

Post a Comment