Saturday, October 22, 2011

Reminiscing About a Week to Remember

Me on garbage-pickin' day.
Tonight, I was inspired to make my blog look like something.  I finally took the time to figure out how to make a banner!

The photo in my new banner was taken during my Alternative Spring Break trip to Mullens, West Virginia in 2010.  ASB is a week-long service trip focusing on an issue area- ours being environment and rural poverty.  It is AMAZING to be part of a group of 45 college students who willingly give up their Spring Break to participate in a substance-free (no alcohol even if you are 21) trip where you work for free, sleep on a disaster blanket on the cement floor and shower in freezing cold water (or not at all).  These kids are special, I'm tellin' ya.
 
Female warriors and their haul.

Team 3 after a tough day of street sweeping!
 On this particular days, we spent all day clearing brush near an old church and in an overgrown cemetery.  By the end of the day, it was raining and all of us were wet, stinky and covered in mud.  Our team had grown so much by this 4th full day of service together, that we had quit our grumbling and focused on what needed to be done and how we could make it happen.  Some of my team members are still good friends I hope to stay close with throughout my life (in fact, I saw one just this past weekend!).  Its rare that you get a chance to spend a week with that many people who just want to make the world a better place.  I wanted to honor that experience and how it helped shape me as a person and the work that I do in the world and in my community.


No comments:

Post a Comment