Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Logic Games

This is something I've only recently come to understand: when a friend comes to you with a problem in their lives, they don't want your logical solutions.  They only want you to listen.

As a rational person, if there is a problem in my life, I think of ways that I can solve the problem.  I am a problem-solver.  I think of ways to fix it and then I go about fixing it.  Well, not everyone is as logical as I am.  Some people like their own anguish.  Some people revel in their own distress.

However, I refuse to stop giving my logical advice.  I don't mind when people do not or cannot take my advice, but I am just unable to listen without offering up a few solutions.

Update:  I've realized that I should never be a therapist or a counselor.  My advice would always be: "Your worries are irrational and your problems are made up."

No comments:

Post a Comment